Thursday, December 31, 2009

Farewell 2009!

2009 was a year of challenge and change for me. When I look back on my first blog in Jan 09 I was feeling very unsure of what the future held and what to do. One thing I knew though was that God had a plan and purpose for my life and that somehow He would begin a new work in me.

On Jan 8th I e-mailed Major Gerald Lacey to ask him what a ‘prayer concert’ was because he had posted on his FB status that the Springdale corps was having one and I had never heard of a ‘prayer concert’ before. He wrote back that day and offered to answer any questions I had anytime. Boy did I have questions!! Stressed out at church and having just quit one of my part-time jobs due to how I was treated in the workplace I had many more questions than answers. Over the course of the following months through many e-mails back and forth Major Gerald became a wonderful Christian mentor for me. I can truly say that he is a man of God. He took the time out of his busy schedule to pray for me, to offer words of encouragement and yes many words of challenge which was what I needed. He didn’t pretend to have all the answers, but he encouraged me to look at things in a new way which helped me to learn to trust in the Lord more - to release all my anxieties and frustrations into His hands - and it was through all of this that I realized that the Lord was leading me in a new direction...

In February, after much thought and prayer I joined the Jubilee Singers and then after many conversations with Rev Heather in April, I began teaching Sunday School and became a member of the Jubilee United Church congregation.

This church has always had a special place in my heart because my Pop Carter was very active as a Lay Minister there for many years. The first service I attended when I walked out and sat in the choir I could sense a peace and I had this inner feeling that Pop was smiling down on me.

Many months have passed and I have had lots of struggles and ups and downs but I am confident that the Lord has placed me at Jubilee because that is where He needs me to be. I absolutely love working with the youth and have made many new friends there. I give God the praise and glory for helping me to realize that He had something better in mind for me than all the stress and strain I was under.

I can’t begin to thank Major Gerald enough for taking the time to converse with me over the past year. Its not possible to put it in words but I know that it was truly God at work.

To all my family and friends who have been there for me to offer support and encouragement thank you all so much! It really does mean a lot! Its not possible to name everyone because I am sure to leave someone out just know that the e-mails, FB messages and chats, cards and phone calls have all been a wonderful source of encouragement and I am so blessed and thankful to have each of you in my life!

Last Dec/Jan I felt so lost and frustrated and didn’t really know what to be doing. This Dec/Jan I am looking ahead to 2010 with hope and excitement! I know there are so many challenges that I still face. Panic attacks don’t just magically disappear and I still have lots to work through with that each day but God is proving that His grace is sufficient to meet all my needs.

In 2009 I also joined Twitter and through Twitter I have come in contact with some amazing Christians who have inspired and encouraged me in my walk with God. I discovered Thomas Road Baptist Church - Pastor Jonathan Falwell and their AMAZING Worship leader Charles Billsingsley. Charles songs encourage and uplift and he is so genuine you can see the spirit of God shining thru him when he sings!

In 2010 I hope to finish my online course on Writing Children’s Books which I began last January. Lord willing I will get something published this year!! That is just one goal for 2010. I am looking forward to doing some substitute teaching and of course I am excited about my work with the youth at Jubilee. I know that God has great things in store for the youth of this area and I am thankful that He has chosen me to be a part of helping to spread His love to the children and adults that I come in contact with from week to week.

I conclude my final blog of 2009 with these verses which are not only fitting beginning a new year but are also very fitting for how I feel in these days and how the Lord has led me thru this past year.

Philippians 3:13-14 - The Message Translations says:
“I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back.”

Farewell 2009 hello 2010!

God bless you all in 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment